Research shows 68% of customers who stop doing business with a company leave because of a bad attitude by a single employee.
The sad story here is that when a customer leaves as a direct result of how he/she was treated by an employee with a negative attitude, the company will never know why.
And the customer? Well imagine how many times the story is going to be told about the “cranky employee.” Not a way any company wants to lose a customer or have their reputation tarnished.
Attitudes among employees improve drastically when they see the CEO and top managers (regardless of their department) demonstrate great customer service skills, These “higher ups” must realize that their primary customers are their employees.
Ultimately they must set the example of displaying smiles and positive attitudes when they are walking in the halls, visiting various departments, break rooms, and anywhere they are face-to-face with their employees, regardless of where any of them are in the chain of command.
Your attitude is your personal signature. How do you want people to remember you when they see or hear your name?
Here are some “attitude improvement tips” you can use right away:
- Don’t take yourself too seriously - for most of us, nothing we are doing today will make any bit of difference in the world a hundred years from now. So, why take yourself so seriously? Laugh (for those that know us, this is our forte!) and learn to laugh at yourself.
- Keep Your Spirits Up - No matter how difficult the situation, maintain a positive attitude. It really will turn out just fine. (How’s that for a positive attitude?)
- Learn to Fail – Heard the quote, “learn to fail . . . but fail quickly?” Deal with it, learn from it and then move on quickly.
- Leave Your Ego at Home - “The bigger a man’s head gets, the easier it is to fill his shoes” ~ Henry A. Courtney. What can we say?!
- No Screaming! – No matter how bad things get, no situation warrants an angry response. It shows a total lack of control and makes you look bad . . . very bad.
- Stop Whining - A whiner is like an infection, it spreads. No pity parties and stop it immediately at the source.
- Dump the Drama - It sells tabloids but has no use in the workplace. It’s draining and zaps valuable creativity.
- Smile – It increases your face value. It also increases your success. Remember, people aren’t happy because they are successful, they are successful because they are happy. A smile totally effects those around you. You just might make their day too!
- Tell Good Stories - The world is often too serious for us humans. Chances are, you have been through a lot to get where you are today, so share some of your humorous adventures. (You’d be surprised at the camaraderie this might create. It’s called relationship building )
Bottom Line: Customers respond better to an employee that is positive and upbeat, so share your new attitude and that smile in your voice with your customers. You will love the outcome!